From heritage to ruins: The old churches of Bohol and Cebu

Yesterday's magnitude 7.2 earthquake sure jolted the nation. Amid all the photos and clips we saw of people scampering for safety, heartbreaking evacuations, and of the resultant destruction, it was hard to ignore the images of centuries-old Catholic churches in Bohol and Cebu that either sustained major damage or were simply reduced to rubble.

Truly one doesn't realize how important something is until it's gone. I never really cared much for such heritage structures before and it was only recently that I started developing some interest in them. However faint that interest is, at least I'm starting to point my camera at them.

While I'm relieved to learn that the old churches in Siquijor are intact, including the one with the wooden floor in Lazi, regret is the only thing I feel with regard to the ones in Bohol, some of which I've never even seen.

I found this collage of before and after photos of these churches from Facebook, which is just hearbreaking.

bohol and cebu old churches_before and after oct15,2013 quake
Collage circulating throughout social media, downloaded from a Facebook user.

I also saw this YouTube video of the actual collapse of the belfry at the Basilica Minore del Sto Niño in Cebu. It's just terrifying.



I hope and pray that those affected by the earthquake be able to recover fast, and that these damaged churches be given a chance at restoration, a chance at rebuilding some of our heritage, and prove that not all is lost.

Comments

  1. Wow...that is really sad..such beautiful places just gone...My thoughts are for everyone affected by the earthquake, just hope they all are well and recover soon.

    hugs
    Andy
    theblacklabelblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. may they be able to get back up real soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler