FRAGRANCE | Cannabis Dolce EDP by Bois 1920 is neither cannabis nor dolce

halfwhiteboy - Bois 1920 Cannabis Dolce 01

When I wrote about the Bois 1920 Cannabis Collection last year, I said I'd be waiting should the brand decide to expand the line. Well, here I am with a bottle of Cannabis Dolce. Because of the name, I was expecting something sweeter this time around, even more so than Cannabis Fruttata. The bottle's brown hue makes me think of brown sugar, too. 

Dolce kicks off with its predecessors' trademark bitter greenness; aromatic and sort of mentholated. The menthol reminded me of Cannabis Salata but only for a moment, as it quickly establishes its own identity. The sweetness I was expecting starts off rather mild, however, and is resinous in character. It does grow in strength but is capped too soon by some warm spices. I don't mind the spices as much except that I was hoping for a more dominant sweetness simply because of how this release is named. If any, at least the resins keep the sharpness in check. 

This combination of spice and what sweetness there is also overpowers the bitter greenness, its moment sadly rendered fleeting when it should have been underscoring the scent (I mean, cannabis, where art thou?). But at least the aromatic, almost camphorous, green overtone somehow endures. 

halfwhiteboy - Bois 1920 Cannabis Dolce 02

Before long, a dry, woody base develops. Like Diptyque Tam Dao, it's reminiscent of pencil shavings, so it's either cedar or sandalwood. The spices stick around although they start to ease, leaving the resins just a bit more room to wiggle. Eventually, the mildly camphorous cloud parts and the scent settles into a warm, spicy wood, infused with a now slightly smoky but still mild sweetness. Performance is pretty good, at par with other Cannabis variants. It's a bit strong in the opening but it gradually mellows, lasting for several hours. 

Before this 2023 release, Cannabis Salata was the least cannabis of the line for me. Now, it's definitely Cannabis Dolce, which is neither cannabis nor dolce. It is its own fragrance rather than a flanker, albeit a pretty good, masculine-leaning one. It's wearable in most settings but I think it's best suited for colder temperatures. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'