LOOKBOOK | Baby steps in print on print execution

halfwhiteboy - poolside print on print 01
A study in contrasts.

I think I can say that I am able to comfortably mix colors, match a tie with a shirt, dress an outfit up or down, but one of the things I'm never comfortable with is mixing prints. Like, how are you supposed to put two different patterns together and create harmony? How do you find the right prints that would complement each other and not end up in an ugly clash?

Sure, there are tips and all but it's a whole different thing when you're actually trying to do it. The confidence just escapes me while I'm stuck in perpetual awe at just how well brands like Etro come up with the best print on print ensembles out there.

halfwhiteboy - poolside print on print 02
I started off with khaki shorts before switching to printed swim shorts for some poolside relaxation.

It wasn't a planned thing but while I was picking out clothes for our staycation at Anya Resort Tagaytay, I noticed that this shirt has a similar brownish color scheme as one of my swim shorts. Both have printed designs, the former with tiny, repetitive scribbles and the latter with rather loud, geometric patterns. I thought, hmm... this could work.

I guess the key in this case is contrasting graphic patterns with a more nuanced opposite--but of matching or complementing colors, of course. It's mixing pieces with both loud patterns that's more challenging. But I'll get around it in time.

halfwhiteboy - poolside print on print 03
Loosening up some buttons.

halfwhiteboy - poolside print on print 04
So shall we take a dip now?

halfwhiteboy - poolside print on print 05
Sun's out? Why are we hiding under the shade?

How about you, are you comfortable with wearing print on print?
__________________
Shirt (Uniqlo); swim shorts (Zara Man); sunnies (Carrera); bracelet (Paragon Manila); flip-flops (Sanuk).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler