FRAGRANCE | Take me to church with La Liturgie des Heures by Jovoy Paris

halfwhiteboy - Jovoy Paris La Liturgie des Heures EDP 01

Got this one as another blind buy from a fellow fraghead, my first from the house of Jovoy Paris. The name alone intrigued me, which translates to "The Liturgy of the Hours," which, in the Catholic Church, refers to the official set of prayers marking the hours of each day and sanctifying the day with prayer [Wikipedia]. Wow, something holy, I thought. And right off the bat La Liturgie des Heures EDP conjures up images of churches, monasteries, and such.

Predictably, incense is the star and is there from beginning unto the very end. It's not the burning type of incense but rather resinous, bright, and even fresh, if that makes sense at all. There's a soothing coolness to it, marked by refreshing coniferous notes with some floral and fruity touches. Meanwhile, a faint, smoky accord sits far in the background, hardly noticeable. I only smell it when I put my nose closer to where I sprayed. It's lovely.

halfwhiteboy - Jovoy Paris La Liturgie des Heures EDP 02

Liturgie is fairly linear. Other than the smokiness advancing a few pews towards the front in the drydown, the fragrance hardly ever develops on my skin. Personally I don't mind, in this case at least. Projection is moderate but it easily softens after an hour or two. Longevity, on the other hand, is moderate for me that sometimes I feel like I can't smell it anymore in the afternoon. Touch-ups may be necessary.

Packaging-wise, I find the bottle sturdy and straightforward but not very grip-friendly, as it favors width over height. But then that's Jovoy Paris's identity. Besides, it's the juice that really matters, right?

Without a doubt, La Liturgie des Heures is not for everyone because while some may appreciate a scent that reminds them of a church or some religious site, they may not actually want to smell like one. It just happens to work for me, even with its average performance. I must make it clear, however, that it does not wash your sins away and make you holy but I'm happy to say that it doesn't burn the skin of the unholy either. I mean, I'm still fine, thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler