FRAGRANCE | An exotic zen in Dzongkha EDT by L'Artisan Parfumeur

halfwhiteboy - L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha EDT 01
Not a fan of the sticker label. I think it takes away from the otherwise elegant bottle.

This is another one of my blind buys, which started first with a decant. Ever wide-eyed whenever anyone from our frag groups posts stuff for sale, I got curious with Dzongkha from L'Artisan Parfumeur. I wasn't familiar with the fragrance, so I looked it up, saw that the nose behind it is Bertrand Duchaufour, who created one of favorites, Penhaligon's Sartorial, and I was set.

From the moment I sprayed it on I was hooked. Dzongkha is a beautiful, complex blend that I have a hard time deciphering it. There hardly seems to be any standout notes and I'm at a loss trying to pick each one out. It gives me a sense of calm, wrapping me in a cool but comforting embrace.

This fragrance is fresh and dry at the same time, an overall green scent underscored by a certain sweetness that's neither syrupy or resinous. I just couldn't place it. I get an ultra-mild spiciness in the opening, with some floral perhaps, lending it a subtle powdery effect. There are earthy and smoky nuances here, with more of them coming through as the scent develops, further adding to the its overall zen feel.

halfwhiteboy - L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha EDT 02
What a beauty! I don't get why they need that awful sticker label.

Consistent with its vibe, this fragrance isn't one to scream. Projection is modest but longevity is above average, and can net you several hours. It surrounds you with this entrancing scent cloud that gradually parts, then settles close to the skin. I see it as versatile but I think it suits daytime wear better.

I'm glad I got Dzongkha (in the old, clear, heptagonal bottle with a gold cap), as it's definitely a keeper for me. It wowed me from the start but it never preens. Instead it invites you in and transports you to an exotic place of comfort and calm. In my case, it's absolute surrender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'