FRAGRANCE | Carven L'Eau Intense EDT: An oxymoron of a fragrance

halfwhiteboy - Carven L'Eau Intense EDT

L'Eau, or Eau, is often used to denote a lighter perfume concentration in fragrances. I usually expect something light or fresh when I see it on the label. But then I see the words L'Eau and Intense together, and now I'm confused. Is it light or is it strong?

Carven L'Eau Intense is an EDT that opens with a combination of citruses, mint, and some lavender. To my nose, though, they're not as distinguishable from each other, as it's more of a blend producing an overall fresh scent rather than individual notes competing for attention. This is where "L'Eau" comes in because it's like it's tailor-made for warm weather.

The fragrance tends to be a little sharp as it develops but thankfully it stops and then retreats. I also get a particular accord that reminds me of a similar scent in Dunhill's Century and in another Francis Kurkdjian creation, Gentle Fluidity Silver (yes, he co-signed this Carven release). I can't place it and I don't know if the cardamom has anything to do with it. I just jokingly refer to it as a "fish accord" but that's just me. Strange me. And no, it does not smell like fish at all, and several peope can attest to that.

Carven L'Eau Intense performs really well, especially for a freshie. It's even more impressive when you factor in how inexpensive it is. Projection may be generally moderate but my, does it last! I can still very well smell it on myself by day's end. And I'm not talking about a mere skin scent here. It still manages to project somehow. Now I get what the "Intense" is.

For me this isn't what some call a generic-smelling fragrance at all. There's a lot more going on in the background—some faint spice, a very soft wood, and a light sweetness in the drydown—that altogether provide it depth and at the same time buoy its fresher facets so they shine.

Carven L'Eau Intense is an underrated beauty in my opinion, scoring high in both scent and performance. The opaque, white-faced bottle with clear sides and rear is quite the looker, too. All things considered, including the price, I think it's worth getting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'