FRAGRANCE | Tobacco Oud EDP by Tom Ford: A confidently gorgeous but modest take on tobacco

halfwhiteboy - Tom Ford Tobacco Oud EDP

Tobacco and oud can have pretty strong personalities, so I didn't know what to expect of Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud at first. In my mind I was bracing for an epic clash between these two power notes but on the contrary, it isn't the raging monster I imagined it to be. There may be some, of course, who would find it strong but personally I think it's fine, more so when control is exercised with the sprayer.

Tobacco is arguably the star here, rich and gorgeously dry. With it comes a sweet, boozy accord that softens the tobacco's tough exterior, lending it a sweet alcoholic moistness and if I may, a more affable character. The resulting interplay, however linear, is just fantastic and I love it.

Tobacco Oud is quite modest in its projection. I think one of the reasons why it isn't as loud is because the oud is given the typical Westernized treatment, its supposed wild nature tamed. I have no problem with this take on oud, though. In as much as I appreciate oud in all its power, I also very much enjoy these "prettified" oud fragrances. I could rock some of those Middle Eastern ones like Ajmal's Dahn Oudh Al Shams but I also enjoy Westernized ouds like Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud Velvet Mood just the same. That said, this Tom Ford release isn't much of an issue for me, other than the expectations set by the name perhaps.

Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud strikes me as a mature scent, one of accomplished confidence that doesn't need to pander to other people's tastes to solicit compliments. It may be suited best for evening wear and for colder months but I wear it to the office any time I wish, and it lasts me the whole day each time. The scent is not for everybody but it's worth trying at least. The price, of course, is something else to consider.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler