FRAGRANCE | Royal Mayfair EDP by Creed: Classy with an understated flair

halfwhiteboy - Creed Royal Mayfair EDP 05

This one doesn't seem to be getting as much love as the likes of Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, etc. but Royal Mayfair proved to be quite the surprise for me (I blind-bought it). I couldn't care less about the stories Creed is peddling about their fragrances but I believe this is an underrated gem from the house.

It opens bright and airy, camphorous, green, and coniferous with a floral touch—a lovely mix of eucalyptus, pine, and rose. There's supposed to be gin and lime but I think they just get lost in this very balanced blend. It's not an overpowering scent and nothing tries to outdo the other. Royal Mayfair is calming even, exuding class in its modest projection. It's very unisex but it can be viewed as a little feminine-leaning if you're not comfortable with florals. Does it smell like royalty? Perhaps. I just like that it's elegant and never loud.

halfwhiteboy - Creed Royal Mayfair EDP 01

I don't get any sweetness here, initially at least. It's slightly bitter but certainly not dry. The rose is not dark and deep but very light and fresh. I'm not sure what effect the other ingredients have on it but it's almost like white florals—tuberose actually! I don't know if my nose is playing tricks on me but that's what I get.

About 30 minutes in the bitterness eases and a very mild sweetness kicks in. There's also something vaguely creamy in the background, which grows a little stronger after another half-hour. I don't get any cedar at any point in the fragrance's development. For me it's basically that familiar, delicate, green-floral combo throughout.

Lovely as it is, Royal Mayfair isn't a powerhouse even in the longevity department. On my skin it thins out after 3 or 4 hours and is almost immediately a skin scent by then. I think I need to test it in a different setting, however, to see if it behaves the same. I understand that not every fragrance is meant to be a beast but if it costs so, so much, I think it's but fair to expect even a little more from it, right? Speaking of cost, I can't say Royal Mayfair is a must-try simply because of that. But if you can get a good deal like I did, then why not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler