FRAGRANCE | Dior Homme Sport EDT (2008 Original Formulation): Sporty, ginger spice

halfwhiteboy - Dior Homme Sport EDT (2008) 01

I'm not really chasing any particular vintage fragrance and yet one by one, they just fall on my lap somehow. Sometimes I simply chance upon a good deal, other times I'm directly offered something. I believe my acquisition of a 2009 bottle of Dior Homme Sport last year was a combination of both. Originally released in 2008, DHS has spawned at least two reformulations: one in 2012 and another in 2017, each with a different note combination but neither of which I have smelled.

The OG 2008 Dior Homme Sport starts with a lemony citrus opening laced with a mild sweetness. It's no citrus bomb, the citric zing effectively tempered by the sweetness. Several minutes in and the ginger begins to surface, adding an initially mild sharpness into the mix, its intensity steadily growing. There's also a light creaminess underscoring the scent, which I suppose is from lavender. Some earthy nuances appear later on but they're too faint to get noticed unless you dig your nose into where you sprayed.

halfwhiteboy - Dior Homme Sport EDT (2008) 02

The prominence of ginger, coupled with that little creaminess in there, remind me of Gucci Envy for Men in a way. The treatment is similar except that the ginger is stronger and sharper here in DHS. The result is a decidedly fresh scent that's true to the "Sport" in its name, whereas Envy remains rounded and more formal. Also, there's definitely no iris in here, a note the Dior Homme line is widely known for. And I adore that powdery, lipsticky feel, especially in Dior Homme Intense! This may be a flanker but it doesn't feel like one. It's like a completely different fragrance that just happens to bear the Dior Homme label.

Projection is generally moderate for up to two hours and softens thereafter. Longevity is likewise moderate, so you may need extra spritzes to get you through the day. Needless to say, it's suited for the gym or as an all-around refresher. It's pretty versatile. I'm not a big fan of aquatics and sporty scents but I like this enough to keep it. If you're into these types of fragrances, then this might be worth trying if you chance upon one. I can't say if it's worth chasing after since I haven't tried the current formulation. But if I do, I guess I'll just have to post an update.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'