FRAGRANCE | Arabian Sea Extrait de Parfum by nXn Perfumes: Does it stand out in a sea of marine-inspired frags?

halfwhiteboy - Arabian Sea by nXn Perfumes 01

Aquatics and other marine freshies are typically not my thing. While I don't hate them, they're probably my least liked fragrance family, so getting Arabian Sea seemed like I'm going off on a tangent here. I have a few in my collection, though, like Davidoff Cool Water Deep that I moderately like and Nautica Latitude Longitude that actually surprised me and which I now treasure very much. But nXn's frags are so cheap, so I went with it anyway to complete the trio with Green Mango and Smoud Oud.

Arabian Sea wastes no time in announcing that it is a marine scent. A citrusy marine freshness, some saltiness, a bit of sharpness, and a very faint plasticky accord arrive one after the other in rapid succession. Although the frag employs some familiar tropes of the genre, it still manages to be its own scent somehow. But to be honest, in a sea of sea-inspired scents (pun intended), I don't see it as a standout. To be fair, breaking out of the mold is never easy.

halfwhiteboy - Arabian Sea by nXn Perfumes 02

Nevertheless, the frag pushes its individuality further by introducing a wispy incense that swirls around with utmost subtlety, along with soft herbal undertones. There's also a prevailing cool sensation similar to Green Mango but it doesn't really stick around. Later, as the plasticky accord leaves and the sharpness dies, a mild sweetness slowly spreads across a warm, woody base to seal the deal, with traces of salt still noticeable. 

Projection is pretty good for the first two hours, give or take, before softening. The scent itself can last for several hours, affording you random whiffs throughout the day. Speaking of day, this is arguably best worn when the sun is out. It's predictably masculine-leaning but nothing too brute for the right woman to wear.

There's nothing groundbreaking about Arabian Sea but I believe it can still hold its own amid this overpopulated fragrance family. Not bad at all for the price, especially since you get quite the presentation to go with the juice. It's worth a try, especially if you dig blue frags. And that's me—who's not a fan of aquatics and marine freshies—talking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'