FRAGRANCE | Vial trial: The Uncompromising Sohan (from the Penhaligon's Portraits Collection)

halfwhiteboy - penhaligon's the uncompromising sohan

Vial Trials are my reviews of sample fragrances given out by sales people from various store purchases. Compared to my posts about full bottles--which are mostly positive because I already like them in the first place, that's why I bought them--Vial Trials are hopefully less one-sided since they were just given to me; I didn't pick them.

Here I'm writing about The Uncompromising Sohan from the Penhaligon's Portraits Collection. I admit that I was taken aback by this fragrance when I first tested it. I felt like it didn't agree with my body chemistry that it smelled pungent on my skin, like BO. I tried it again, same reaction. Then I finally decided to wear it one Saturday out to the mall and only then did I start to appreciate it. It helped that Kwittiegirl said it definitely does not smell like BO.

The Uncompromising Sohan is indeed uncompromising as it opens strong with a boozy, sweet, and spicy aroma. The rose is also quite prominent here and remains strong all the way to the drydown. Of course there's the oud but the sandalwood cannot be missed either. Eventually it all settles down to a nice, creamy rose oud, with hints of spices still lingering.

Performance for this one is quite good. Sillage is heavy in the first hour or two, then mellows into moderate territory thereafter until it becomes a skin scent hours later. Sohan is one helluva juice that lasts long, no doubt. I can still smell it by the end of the day.

halfwhiteboy - Penhaligon's The Uncompromising Sohan EDP
Eventually I got myself a full bottle anyway.

It may not have been love at first sniff for me but in hindsight, The Uncompromising Sohan turned out to be a really wonderful scent. I like it, and I seem to like it even more by the day. It's not for everybody, that's for sure, but if you're one who's into strong, spicy fragrances, then Sohan is a worthy candidate for your consideration. It also has the performance to boot.

Is it worth getting a full bottle? Much like The Tragedy of Lord George, I think it depends on whether you can get past its rather steep price point.

In the meantime, I still have a few others to sample:

halfwhiteboy - penhaligon's portraits collection samples

So, have you tried anything from the Penhaligon's Portraits Collection? Share your thoughts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler