FRAGRANCE | Bel Ami Vetiver EDT by Hermès: A glorious update on a classic

halfwhiteboy - Bel Ami Vetiver EDT by Hermès 01

I have never smelled the original Bel Ami and I don't know if I will ever be able to. But for whatever it's worth I blind-bought Bel Ami Vetiver, Jean-Claude Ellena's update on the Hermès classic. I realized I have a soft spot for vetiver, and with that ingredient emphasized in this iteration, I expected a treat. And my, did Ellena deliver!

Bel Ami Vetiver is a gorgeous take on the ingredient, its inherent earthiness given a nice, velvety touch, with some leather and sweetness added for good measure, all brightened with some citruses on top. The citric accord is well-rounded and never piercing, albeit fleeting. I wish it stayed a bit longer because it's just too lovely to leave so soon.

The trade-off, however, is that a beautiful smokiness comes alive right after - rich and with a warm, ambery sweetness swirling with it. Thankfully this stage is quite prolonged, its moderate projection perfectly reflecting the fragrance's restrained elegance. This goes on until you're brought right back to enjoy the lemony-earthy goodness of vetiver once more in the drydown, but almost exclusively so this time around.

halfwhiteboy - Bel Ami Vetiver EDT by Hermès 02
Admiring oneself in the mirror? Lovely artwork from behind the label.

All said, I just love Bel Ami Vetiver's scent profile, even perhaps as much as I love Terre d'Hermes, which will forever have a special place in my heart. Bel Ami Vetiver is masculine and classy, and is pretty much a year-rounder. It's not meant to be loud, I get it, but it can last you the whole day. But because it sits close to the skin in its waning hours, I recommend a touch-up to give it a boost whenever you feel like it. Anyway, it won't choke you, so just go ahead and respray. I'm not sure if it suits everyone but it definitely is worth having for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'