FRAGRANCE | Absinthe EDP by Franck Boclet: An interesting green but with performance issues

halfwhiteboy - Absinthe EDP by Franck Boclet

Franck Boclet's Absinthe is my first from this house, a blind buy with which I took a risk. Even as I've already set my sights on Tobacco, which seemed like a sure-fire hit in my book considering how I love tobacco-based scents, I chose to look the other way all in pursuit of trying different scent profiles.

Absinthe opens with a brief blast of alcohol. I don't know if it's meant to somehow recreate absinthe the drink but to be honest it isn't the most pleasant opening in a fragrance. Good thing it dies down really quickly and then comes an herbal, green concoction with a bitter undertone, but not as bitter as, say, Sisley's Eau de Campagne. It's a moist kind of green, almost creamy, and is quite distinguishable from other green scents.

All this mellows in an hour or under, still characteristically green but now with earthy nuances. Well, Absinthe isn't loud to begin with, so this transition isn't drastic; more like it's settling down after a moderate, initial blast. Sometimes I don't mind fragrances with soft projection, especially if the scent profile calls for it because there are scents that are best enjoyed up close. Unfortunately, Absinthe doesn't seem to fit the bill because it's not a sexy, intimate scent.

Too bad it also doesn't last long, which is disappointing for an EDP. I need multiple resprays throughout the day to fully enjoy it, which is a shame because it's an interesting fragrance, a good year-rounder, not one to offend either, and it's also not expensive. The bottle's thick and sturdy, and there's some effort in terms of presentation. I like it but I'm not head over heels for it. Not a must-have but still worth a try if you have the chance. Who knows if it works differently for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'