FRAGRANCE | Neandertal Light EDP: A stone-cold, metallic beauty

halfwhiteboy - Neandertal Light EDP 02

Neandertal is a niche perfume brand with only two offerings to date: Neandertal light and Neandertal dark. Both are EDPs that come in identical, craggy, stone-shaped ceramic bottles, the former in white and the latter in black. Either one would definitely look great in anyone's collection. I'd like to have both although I have to contend with just Neandertal light for now.

Obviously the presentation is very unique although it loses points when it comes to functionality. For one, the cap doesn't lock itself in place tightly enough. It is magnetic but unlike Amouage bottles, for instance, it comes off very easily. It shouldn't be much of an issue but since it's ceramic, you always run the risk of either cap or bottle falling off and breaking; so you should always handle it properly. I also have a bit of a problem with its tiny sprayer. It seems flimsy and I'm always worried it might break. It's a fear that is only exacerbated by a friend's experience where the sprayer totally gave in, rendering it completely useless. I'm just hoping it's an isolated case because this stuff doesn't come cheap.

Scent-wise, however, I love it. I had difficulty describing it during my first try and all I could come up with was that it's a lovely metallic scent with hints of saltiness. I must have gotten past being overwhelmed eventually because on my second try and full wearing, I had a clearer perspective and better grasp of things.

halfwhiteboy - Neandertal Light EDP 05

Neandertal light has this cold, metallic accord hovering above an opening of indistinguishable florals and greens that are laced with a touch of sweetness. Half an hour later, though, they seem to switch roles in terms of intensity as the scent becomes more metallic and less floral-green sweet. The metallic accord carries with it a little sharpness but it isn't piercing or annoying. To me it lifts the scent and lends it a certain brightness and freshness.

At some point I get some saltiness in the background and some sweetness peeking through. The florals and greens, however, have now left and the scent is pretty much linear from hereon. This stuff is strong and very long-lasting, softening only after several hours. I find it perfectly unisex albeit a little masculine-leaning. Just a bit, though. And because it's light and cold, Neandertal light is pretty much a year-rounder. It's pricey but well worth trying at the very least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler