FRAGRANCE | Pacific Rain EDP by Whiff: Simple and sweet but short-lived

halfwhiteboy - Pacific Rain EDP by Whiff

We've long had a few bottles of Whiff Artisanal Fragrances, another homegrown Philippine fragrance brand. They haven't quite figured out in my rotation, so I thought of wearing one today. And because I'm seriously yearning for some rain to break the scorching summer heat, I picked Pacific Rain.

All of Whiff's offerings that I know are in EDP concentration and come in the same clear bottle design, white label, and gold cap. Simple as it may look, I find the bottle quite sturdy. However, they all come in a generic labeled box - not flimsy, I must acknowledge that - but it doesn't carry the name of the fragrance. And when you own quite a few and you like to keep your fragrances in their boxes like I do, it can be a hassle opening each one each time to find a specific fragrance.

Pacific Rain opens with a sweetened lime - pleasant and not sharp at all. Several minutes later the citrus fades, leaving you with almost nothing but sweetness. It's a pretty simple scent with little to offer in terms of development.

It's not really a bad thing considering how inexpensive it is (less than Php 700 for a 50ml bottle) but perhaps I had my hopes up for this one because the nose behind this and all of Whiff's other releases is said to be trained in the Grasse Institute of Perfumery.

Another thing about Pacific Rain is that it's plagued by performance issues. It quickly becomes a skin scent in about an hour and deteriorates even further after that. It just doesn't last. And for an EDP, that's terrible no matter the price. I really wanted to like it because I want to support local brands but unlike ScentSmith Perfumery and Eight Wolves Cologne by Sparrow, it just falls flat. Sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler