FRAGRANCE | Dirham EDP by Ard Al Zaafaran: An inexpensive, rough-around-the edges citrusy floral

halfwhiteboy - Dirham EDP by Ard Al Zaafaran

Finally I got to wear this Middle Eastern cheapie that has been hibernating in one of my drawers for months now. Dirham EDP by Ard Al Zaafaran is but one of those fragrances I almost regularly see posted and talked about in our local fragrance groups on Facebook, so eventually I blind-bought one.

I must admit that I wasn't wowed when I first sprayed it. Maybe I was just used to the potency and  compositions of other inexpensive Middle Eastern heavy-hitters like Nabeel's Arab Tradition and Paris Corner's Arabian Mystery Soleil Mystery because Dirham is not like them.

This one is a citrusy-floral freshie and is by no means a beast. It's bright with zesty citruses but with nary a hint of sweetness, which is something I welcome. Although already noticeable from the start, the florals are momentarily kept at bay by the zing. I get jasmine primarily, maybe a hint of rose, too, and they slowly bloom as the fragrance develops. It's a nice scent but I find the blending a bit rough. However, looking for the smoothness and finesse of, say, MFK's Aqua Vitae Forte, another bright, citrus-floral fragrance, may be too much to ask of something that costs less than a thousand pesos.

On my skin the scent turns a bit sharp after some time although thankfully not too much. This could just be a body chemistry thing, though, as I've had similar experiences with a host of other fragrances before. Anyway, it softens eventually, so it's still good.

Overall Dirham is just okay for me. It's light and pleasant but I just am not in love with it. You will almost definitely need a few resprays throughout the day despite its supposed EDP concentration but that's easily forgivable considering how cheap it is. That my bottle came with a free body spray is also a bonus. Likewise, you gotta recognize the effort put in into the presentation. Except for that annoying, dangling cardboard thingy, the bottle's quite nice. I also like the sprayer, by the way.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler