FRAGRANCE | Polo Sport Woman EDT by Ralph Lauren: A youthful fruity-floral for summer

halfwhiteboy - Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman 01

I'm not very much into fragrances that says "sport" on the label. I don't know but there's just something about their general scent structure that doesn't appeal to me as opposed to something that says oud. I think the last one I wore and actually liked was Dior Homme Sport. But what about women's fragrances? What makes one a sporty scent? Let's see what Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman has to offer.

I was oblivious to all the hullabaloo surrounding this 90s release, particularly the ridiculous prices on eBay. But I guess this insanity is common among discontinued frags these days. I believe our bottle's a tester, having no proper cap. No box either. It was just offered to me by one of those "evil" fragheads who prey on my weakness.

Polo Sport Woman opens sweet with a short-lived minty accent and a slew of different florals, with ylang-ylang being the most noticeable to my nose. I can't really pick up the rest even though the scent is awash in them. Within seconds, melon appears, its distinct, fruity aroma steadily rising, and goes toe to toe with the florals. I like how the melon smells here. It's not a photorealistic representation but it doesn't give me cheap air freshener feels either. It just has this identity that's easily recognizable as melon.

halfwhiteboy - Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman 02

The fruit and flowers continue dominating the scent. Although the mint is practically eviscerated so early in the game, it leaves a bitter aroma in its wake until it fades about half an hour later, give or take. Meanwhile, the sweetness carries on. At some point, the florals partially obscure the melon until they meld together and rest atop a fuzzy, woody base a few hours later.

I don't know if this is how women's sporty frags are supposed to be but I'm liking the youthful vibe here. It's a very pleasant composition that I believe (some) men can comfortably wear as well. Despite the relative weight of the sweetness, Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman still seems most apt for daytime and warm weather wear, particularly in casual settings. It's lovely but it's not a mind-blowing, complex fragrance, so perhaps it's just nostalgia that's driving up the prices. Really, don't sweat it unless you can get it for cheap or at a reasonable price at least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

LOOKBOOK | Barong Tagalog and sneakers for 'Buwan ng Wika'

FRAGRANCE | Rajo Uno EDT by Bench: An inexpensive local gem